On the other hand I agree with you whole heartedly about shovels preferring live bait. A great bait for smaller catfish is the earthworm. To make the best use of these make sure to stack more than five in a ball shape on 3/0 hooks and your all set to go. I don’t have time to catch shad. Is there any way to keep turtles from stealing my bluegill off limb lines? From what I’ve read, bluegill that are river bred are naturally afraid of catfish, since catfish prey on them in rivers. We get tons of questions through Catfish Edge and on our social media pages and an overwhelming majority of them are about catfish baits and catfish rigs. In the end regardless of what you choose to put on your hooks there’s a golden rule to follow, “match the hatch”. You have to have good hearty and lively bait and learn to keep it alive and healthy. These are the people who’ve ready time and time again that to catch flathead catfish you must use live baits and they won’t eat anything else. Not sure it’s a good idea to spray on mono. This also makes a great catfish bait. One question I have – what or how do you suggest using punch baits in a body of water where you are not permitted to use treble hooks? Each 10-ounce bag contains prepared dough baits that release this scent into the water and get the catfish biting right away. I trolled into the area and flipped some punch bait into the area and we caught a few catfish. Worms are hard to beat when fishing on the bottom near old dead trees, cover and around along the edges of flats where there are trees over hanging the water. Those “good trips” are often the exception as there are often outings without a catch at all. Here are our top bait recommendations for catching big numbers of channels, flatheads and blues. I want to catch yellow cats in the Colorado river near Columbus Tx. I’m using a float and barrel swivel but every time I catch one it takes me 10 minutes to untwist the line. Amazon's Choice for best catfish bait. If that’s the case, then a person shouldn’t be afraid to experiment a little bit with their baits. There is no magic bullet bait that you can buy. Prepared catfish baits like dip and punch baits can be used for blues. Minnows: Wanted dead or alive, minnows are a best bait choice as they work well for landing blue and channel catfish.The lively and big minnows are ideal for landing those big catfish. Helps reduce the line memory and let’s line lay where it needs too. In studies performed by the company, this bait was able to pull in twice as many catfish as live baits were capable of doing. 2 cans of tuna in oil. Thanks for sharing. Fresh caught shad or skipjack is the best catfish bait choice for blues in most cases. I fish the shallow areas around the lake and normally catch a couple of dozen one to three pound channel and blue cats over four or five hours of fishing. Learning catfish behavior can be extremely helpful in determining how to catch these sometimes elusive fish. I’ve fished Kentucky lake for blues with cut bait and have done well with cut skipjack. My grandpa tought me growing up if they’ll bight anything they’ll bight a worm. Top 9 Best Shooting Ear Protection of 2020 – Reviews, Top 10 Best Braided Fishing Lines of 2020 – Reviews, Top 10 Best Camping Cook Sets of 2020 – Reviews, Top 10 Best Water Shoes of 2020 – Reviews, Top 10 Best Mattresses for Camping in 2020 – Reviews, Top 10 Best Mountain Bike Helmets of 2020 – Reviews, Top 10 Best Outdoor Basketballs of 2020 – Reviews, Top 10 Best Dive Knives of 2020 – Reviews, Top 10 Best Hiking Sandals of 2020 – Reviews, Top 10 Best Hiking Poles of 2020 – Reviews, Top 9 Best Pepper Sprays of 2020 – Reviews, Preparing For Hiking During The Fall Months, How To Deal With A Serious Injury In The Wilderness, Easiest Ways To Find Clean Water When Camping. I fish the Ohio rive religiously for shovel at the hanable dam area. What’s the primary forage fish? Over the years I have used live and dead bait side by side and in almost every instance have found that blues will hit fresh dead bait (whole or cut) just as well as they will live. The final piece of advice we’d like to give all of our readers is to pack and use the proper equipment. Think I’ll try live bait and dip bait. amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; This product never needs to be refrigerated, will never harden, and is designed to biodegrade when it’s dropped into water. Cheese that comes in blocks is the best choice and holds together well in water. Any one of the following baits is sure to not only catch the attention of these fish but also compel them to bite, thereby increasing the number of catfish you catch in a day. Night fishing can dramatically increase the odds of catching catfish because they tend to be more active at night. Try to match the hatch in addition to recreating the action and you’ll catch more fish. The first thing that a caster can do to improve their odds of catching catfish is by choosing the best catfish bait available. The simple reason for this is if you’re after numbers if they won’t hit a good prepared concoction you’re in the wrong area. Skipjack are typically larger than shad and can be used whole for targeting large trophy class fish, For smaller blues skipjack is cut into strips or chunks tailored to the size catfish you’re targeting. Okay, they’re classic everything bait. This bait is easy to use and comes in zippered bags that can be resealed to preserve the integrity of the bait, and prevent it from drying out. Ripe cut baits always work consistently, but when the frogs show up early to mid summer, they are the hot item on the menu. Thanks for all this info – I intend to put it into play with my grandsons soon! Best Live Bait For Catfish. There’s a direct correlation between moving water and or moving baits and the flathead bite. This strong-smelling formula is pre-molded into dough balls that are easy to use on everything from trotlines to cane poles and is designed to create an easy-to-follow chum trail. Or get to know a bow fisherman he will have a steady supply of carp and buffalo. Another method of finding the best fishing locations is simply looking at a map. I had too many ppl this year say the catfish are biting on this or that and it never works ! catfish on strawberry bait. I have always had luck using them. They can be used for a variety of fishing methods, and can not only be used to catch catfish but can also be used to catch other fish species as well. Once a person has selected the best catfish bait for the particular type of catfish they’re looking to catch, it’s time to use that bait with proven methods to get the best results possible. I flipped them up into the same area, catching a fish almost every time i’d cast. I agree with you but,I do better with Chicken.Or pork cut small,and flavored with chicken liver blood.Try using sardine,and sardines themselves flavoring the chicken too.This is my usual catfish bait,catfich love the smell of blood. The process (and equipment) of keeping shad and other baitfish alive is in my opinion an unnecessary task for this species. You take a bare treble hook and “punch” the hook into the bait and then pull the hook from the bucket with a loaded hook. I was fishing with clients in a creek with large trees and grapevines hanging over the water. First they have a very strong smell that attracts catfish almost immediately but they also break down in the water and that scent carries throughout the water and attracts more catfish into the area. CTRL + SPACE for auto-complete. If you’re after size natural baits will typically prove much more effective. If you’re going to target flatheads there’s a couple of simple rules: Flathead catfishing is not a fast and furious sport for most anglers where you can expect to go out and catch 5, 10, 20 or 30 in a given trip. One of my favorite baits is the King Kat Chicken Blood. I usually will let one rig go straight down to the bottom and one like suspended halfway up from bottom straight under the boat. Another problem that many people have when they’re fishing for catfish is they pick a spot that they like and stay there even if the fish aren’t biting. I try shallow, deep, suspended, in the middle of the river, next to shore, slack water fast water, still hardly ever catch a fish oyt there at night. Probably not but when there’s fish in the area and that’s what their feeding on you match the hatch. No fish, or like i said, one fish for 10 hours fishing. Caught 3 fish a day. Shad – If you’re aiming to catch a big catfish shad is your best bait for fishing catfish. Resp if fully, Benny L. Coon. We buy 50 pound bags of floating catfish food and it’s like a feeding frenzy. I cannot find any good live bait. There’s a lot of really great prepared baits in stores and some really bad ones also. It has fiber strands in it so it can hold on the hook better. Each bag contains two 5/8-inch by 13-inch strips that can easily be cut down using a pair of ordinary scissors. We alternate skipjack and live goldfish. Especially to catch a big flathead. Bluegill or minnows are the best bait for pond catfish. Although this is not the most smelling homemade recipe for catfish bait, it is most effective. While it’s highly possible to be fishing for blues and catch channels, developing a specialized approach and using the right bait for the right species will greatly increase your success and often make the difference between fishing and catching. Some serious fishermen generally kill their minnow’s first before putting them on the hook making them easier for the catfish to track down and suck in. I’m saying that when rod and reel fishing if I can’t catch channel cats with one of these products they’re not biting. I quit counting emails at 257 before I finally gave up. However, probably one of the most effective scent combinations is the one that’s in this bait. The best winter catfish bait will be their natural, native prey or something that closely mimics it. The problem with many types of baits used for catfishing is that they’re either too sticky straight out of the package or they remain too dry when they’re placed on a hook and introduced to the water. These in depth resources walk you step by step through everything you need to know to catch more and bigger catfish using specific techniques (like drift fishing or splat fishing) or during specific seasons (like catching blues in the spring or channel cats in the summer). Several years ago while sifting through questions that had been sent in by email I realized that there was one question that was asked over and over again and that’s people wanting to know what the best catfish bait is. You might be surprised at what happens when you add cut bait to your presentation for flatheads in the right environment. amzn_assoc_default_category = "All"; One thing remains the same though, catfish baits are simple and you shouldn’t overcomplicate them. Live bait can be purchased in many bait and tackle shops. Use bull frogs. When properly used, this bait will get the fish biting and is 100% biodegradable as well. You won’t need a plan B. I caught a 23 in. I have been fishing 50 years in Montana. I realized it was catfish feeding on the muscadine grapes that would occasionally fall off the vines. Keep it coming, I live in Denver where can I catch catfish locally don’t have to go 30 miles or greater to catch them I fish all the time meaning every week from 5:00am to 9:00pm so please don’t say aurora resoviour chatfieldbecause of water issues Thornton gravel ponds Lowell pondscolorodo state park lake off i70 Washington park or city park give me info I can catch catfish with please, Ii have been down ng mobile n the south fork of the Kentucky river for about 15 years and nightcrawlers gave me the best look. Elevating the bait using bobbers, inline floats or jig heads can help make catfish baits more effective as they allow the scent to travel further through the water. I was just in the right place at the right time and thinking on my feet. They’ll feed on live (or fresh dead) bait they like easy meals that they don’t have to work for and they’re driven by their strong sense of smell and “taste”. The best hook to use for catfish is a hook that aligns with your bait selection and the size of catfish you are targeting. Their strong smell and wriggling action attracts attention and makes them an irresistible lure. After all, catfish can get pretty big, so a person should be prepared for that fact. Worms will often produce much smaller fish but produce them very consistently.