After the lactic acid bacteria settled, the wild yeasts will start to grow, forming a stable culture with the lactic acid bacteria. There are only two critical times when you need a warm (as in above 65F) atmosphere for your starter: when you're first starting it, and during the 2nd rising of bread. I keep mine in the fridge so that I get 3 weeks between batches. Excess acetic acid is known to be a significant inhibitor of yeast growth. Looking for tips, techniques, and all kinds of great information about sourdough baking? I added 200g AP + 200g cold boiled water to each jar, and re-heated the water bath to 25C. I don't think the high altitude should be an issue in getting a starter going, and it might actually help in the case of desem starter by allowing the internal sponge to grow slightly easier. That said- starting a starter from scratch already takes a long time so I understand your desire to speed it along a bit. Let the starter rest at room temperature for 6 to 8 hours; it … One of the challenges of making fermented products is being able to maintain a constant product from batch to batch. DON'T SHAKE. I’m making my first starter from rye. @Thomas - where do you get your minimum 74F temp from? The smaller the amount of sourdough starter in the dough, and the colder the temperature, the longer the dough is able to ferment for. Re: catching wild yeasts. If you have cool temperatures, you can alleviate the problem of having weak yeast and very sour dough a bit if you use more water than flour (about 1:1.5 flour/water instead if 1:1 like you normally would use). Less than 15°C should be avoided if you want well developed yeasts. Do this for 4-5 days. So I abandoned the recipe, took out another 100g of starter from the fridge and added 100g of water + 100g of flour and left it overnight. @Sobachatina, the "catching wild yeasts from the air" thing is commonly repeated by all sorts of culinary experts. Find what you need in our sourdough baking guide. I kneaded it and added just enough water to make a smooth dough. The loaves have double in volume in the morning and I baked them straight away. Cover the jar and let rest 24 hours until day four. DAY 12 8:00 PM Add 190 g water @ 78 F (26 C), 125 g bread flour, stir, cover, store in a warm place. @Thomas - you can actually use the desem method at higher temps as well, though it may change the flavor profile. Eventually, you'll pull the ball out one day and it will be very soft and spongy inside. Or, simply give your excess to a friend so he or she can create his or her own starter. It seems that you could fairly easily use any number of techniques to keep the sourdough warm during startup and during 2nd rising for bread. Happy sourdough starter. I found this works best with type 1050 rye flour initially (refer to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flour#Flour_type_numbers for a rough conversion of my german type numbers), but you can start using pretty much any type of flour after that (I've tested rice, buckwheat, wheat, rye, spelt, barley, millet, oat and corn). I then filled a big stainless steel pot with hot tap water and added some cold tap water to bring the temperature to about 25C (I used a candy thermometer). And there are plenty of things in the air, while the stuff naturally growing on flour tends to like growing on flour. This can happen after day 2-3 and is the yeast. What I want is more lactobacilli (which produce the milder, more pleasant yogurt like smell) and wild yeast. But the concentration of microbes on flour is higher by so many orders of magnitude compared to the amount of yeast floating around in the air that you'd have to be a wizard to get a starter going from the air alone. site design / logo © 2020 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa. To store your starter at room temperature: Stir the starter well and discard all but 4 ounces (1/2 cup). Day 5: Sourdough starter - room too cold? If you have chloride in your tap water, boil it before use (depending on where you live, this might be a good idea either way). Usually, minor adjustments to feeding frequency or temperature will keep a sourdough starter healthy and active. This is because several microbes are fighting to become dominant. The starter container must be sterilized at the beginning of the process and then covered throughout. Remove 1 cup starter to bake with when it's expanded and bubbly, then feed the remaining starter immediately; revert to your normal 12-hour schedule for subsequent feedings. Why is the TV show "Tehran" filmed in Athens? At this point, I would usually do a few feedings 12 hours apart before using it to bake bread. Just don't use the all-purpose flour (the completely white one), as this doesn't really contain all that much microbes anymore. While this means feeding it twice a day, it also means your starter will be ready to bake when you are. At other times, sourdough is very tolerant of cold, it just slows down. After about 2 hours, refrigerate. Added 100g AP + 100g cold water that has been boiled to each jar (nothing thrown away, and I stopped adding WW). Why just second rise? If you have electrical devices in the house many of them they give off enough heat to warm a sourdough container even in winter. How to Feed a Sourdough Starter Using Volume Measurements: To feed a sourdough starter using conventional volume measurements, simply combine 1 part leftover sourdough starter, 1 part part water, and just under 2 parts flour. How much of the latter depends, again, on your culture and the temperature (colder = more acetic acid, warmer = more lactic acid). Mix 50g of starter with 350g of water, cold, cool or room temperature is fine, and loosely stir them together. However, there are a few situations that might require some extra care. So the lesson here is that you need to make sure the starter is tripled under warm conditions (21-25C). If one of the following happens, the sourdough went bad and you have to start over (maybe try a different flour): There are red, black, blue, green or "hairy" spots on the dough. Thanks for contributing an answer to Seasoned Advice! DAY 15+ CONTINUING STARTER MAINTAINENCE as equal parts starter, bread flour, water (1:1:1), but much smaller quantities of each 2x per