Happy customers, one piece of gear at a time! EMG states that the new X-Series pickups have more headroom, and an extended, more open frequency response. Sweetwater Sound Learn More. Can I use the one in the guitar? Are emg81 tw/89 not as heavy as emg 81/85? Therefore an 85-7 would sound alot different, trust me. Yahoo fait partie de Verizon Media. The Fluence pickups are on my Tiger Mockingbird and the EMG 81's are on my Pro X Mockingbirds. I just got a new axe with EMG … Vous pouvez modifier vos choix à tout moment dans vos paramètres de vie privée. This is a quick comparative between EMG 81 and EMG 85 on the bridge position. The EMG-85 has more low end and less high end then the EMG-81. EMG X-series and Seymour Duncan Blackouts sound much better, but unless you have a specific reason to want actives, I'd pick the passives over an EMG 81 and 85 every day of the week. Everything you love about Sweetwater in the palm of your hand. Featuring close aperture coils loaded with Alnico V magnets, the 85 is a powerful guitar pickup with exceptional tone and versatility. I ended up with a SG guitar of the week, seen here, with the same EMG pups - excellent guitar! EMG-81 The EMG-81 pickup is a high-output pickup designed especially for the lead guitarist. The EMG81 is an active humbucker guitar pickup manufactured by EMG Inc. emg 81 85 wiring diagram – You will want an extensive, professional, and easy to know Wiring Diagram. The EMG-85 works best if you like the natural distortion that comes from overdriving the front end of your amp. EDIT: this my first repair/mod. I prefer the 707 massively. The 81's can have a very "sterile" sound and can be quite unforgiving. , The EMG-81 has less low end and is brighter than the EMG-85. share. The 85 is one of EMGs first pickups and is the slightly more sophisticated and well rounded half of its famous brother, the 81. Exclusive deals, delivered straight to your inbox. Under any condition, the humbucker responds accurately to your technique. EDIT: EMG 81, 81-X, 60, 60-X have ceramic magnets. The only LP I've heard with EMG pups was a guitar of the week - LP Studio w/EMG 85 & 81. The 3 most famous EMG active humbuckers in the bridge position, using the same test conditions. The 81 is the more focused pickup of the two. The EMG-85 has slightly less output than the EMG-81, yet still has plenty of output to overdrive an amp. EMG 85. Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by blackrobedone, May 22, 2009. blackrobedone SS.org Regular. save hide report. I find them to be extremely tight as well. They are both good but I don't know what kind of sound you prefer or are looking for. level 1. Informations sur votre appareil et sur votre connexion Internet, y compris votre adresse IP, Navigation et recherche lors de l’utilisation des sites Web et applications Verizon Media. i have a guitar with 81 tw/89. Definitely agree with you on the 81 and 85 pickups. i was hoping boss metal core pedal would help me achieve a heavy tone but not really helping. But this isn’t about active vs passive – we’re talking about active vs active today. Store Hours, If you have any questions, please call us at (800) 222-4700. The EMG 85 is a popular active humbucker guitar pickup manufactured by EMG, Inc..It is paired with the 81 in the Zakk Wylde signature EMG set. My current Amp is a H&K Tubemeister 18 Head and with a EMG 81 equipped guitar I can get a real great crunch tone with no hum, which is the bonus of an internal pre amp in the 81. 10 comments. The drawback is that many people (including me) dislike the way they sound. Banshee Elite 7-FR Named BEST 7-String of 2020 by Gear Savvy November 11, 2020 . I do like them and since EMG has their solderless wiring I can swap pickups freely so I'll drop in the 81's when needed. Nos partenaires et nous-mêmes stockerons et/ou utiliserons des informations concernant votre appareil, par l’intermédiaire de cookies et de technologies similaires, afin d’afficher des annonces et des contenus personnalisés, de mesurer les audiences et les contenus, d’obtenir des informations sur les audiences et à des fins de développement de produit. The 707 is not a sevenstring version of the 85. The EMG-81 is our highest output pickup. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. It was originally designed to be used in the bridge position but is typically installed in the neck position by modern guitar producers. Other recommended pairings include the classic 81/85 setup and the versatile 81/60 combo. EMG's solderless installation makes swapping your guitar pickups easier than ever. I'm not sure if the EMG's will fit and the wiring will work out. Too muddy. When used in both neck and bridge positions the sound can only be described as blistering. All of my recording guitars have 85s or 707s. I guess within the EMG world, the 57 is the most open and passive-like one I've tried (I haven't tried the Retroactives), but it still sounds like an EMG. might be my amp. I also hate the EMG 81 on 6 string guitars, and prefer the 85. Can't beat it. It has a searing high gain metal sound. Sort by. Phone Hours | (I'll admit that out of the 3 sets I've tried, thought EMG 81/85's were pretty good, EMG 81/60's were even better, and SD Blackouts were better than both...but, to be fair I don't really play a lot of metal either. The EMG 81 is commonly used in the bridge position, giving high end cut and fluid sustain. It was developed in 1979 along with the EMG85 and released in 1981. The EMG-85 has more low end and less high end then the EMG-81. The jack I have in my guitar has a much longer shaft than the one supplied with the EMG pickup. The 707 was made completely and exclusively to have and invent its own sound. Hey, you'll also get the rich open sound that actives never seem to capture. Thread starter Patrick; Start date Feb 20, 2011; Patrick Doesn't afraid of anything. Can multiple EMG pickups/EQs run off a single battery? Our knowledge base contains over 28,000 expertly written tech articles that will give you answers and help you get the most out of your gear.