Lenovo Inc. View View. Select Do Nothing for one or both columns, depending on your needs. VGA port will not transmit audio while HDMI will.. Connecting to a Docking Station: Close your laptop. However, it's pretty easy to adjust this setting. Click the Apple logo in the … close laptop and use monitor. He is the former host of the Android Authority podcast, and his work has appeared in numerous publications. In fact, this is a great way to test your laptop to see if all you need is to replace the screen . I have two external monitors and when I close the lid, one of the external monitors also shuts off. I needed a bigger screen since my employer provided me with a small laptop to work from home. I would like to close the laptop and have the external screens stay on, as they did with my previous Dell. There are multiple ways to configure laptop lid settings. Now you will get the sound from the monitor if it has speaker or an audio/video peripheral. Any ideas? This allows the closed laptop to continue functioning while it is hooked up to a power source, so you can use it as a desktop alternative without having to deal with the device itself. Wait, why did the monitor turn black? Increased heat can damage your computer. Thank you this worked, but for me it was the “Power buttons and lid” option which had it set to sleep if I closed the lid. There are a few more settings related to laptop lid closing action: To connect your laptop with the screen you need to have an able that connects the laptop with the external monitor, this cable is called an HDMI cable. The secondary screen will automatically get activated and the laptop screen will be turned off on the logon screen. One of our employees has an HP Pavilion G6 laptop. When I close the laptop, all the screens go black, and won't come on again until I open the laptop and re-start. If you've paired your laptop to a nice 24-inch 1080p monitor, that often means you’re squinting at your 12-inch clamshell display instead of the larger, nicer screen. I sometimes use an external monitor with my laptop. this is very helpful.I am using HDMI to connect, but I don’t see the HDMI option under “sound” window.I also have power setting on “Do nothing when lid close”, but I found my laptop seems can’t remember this setting. Under each column, select the drop down box to choose what happens when you close the lid. any idea why? After connecting your Windows laptop with the monitor, you would want to close the lid of your laptop but not let it shutdown as it will stop displaying everything on the monitor and furthermore it also helps you to save some battery on your laptop. Please check your system event viewer logs and make sure it is not related to any hardware issues. I would like to close the laptop and just use the external display. Going forward when you close the lid the computer will continue to run, and will not disconnect from your monitor. for now, How to close laptop with external monitor is that often people searched on search engines, and then in this blog, in this article, I will explain information about How to close laptop with external monitor. Windows 10 normally puts your laptop into low-power sleep mode when you close the lid. Go … We will discuss three ways here. To use closed-display mode with your Mac notebook, here's what you need: An AC power adapter or an external display that provides power over USB-C or Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C). The LED screen will always be the primary display when booting the laptop. How to use laptop closed with external monitor ⭐ is the topic of discussion at this time. If you want to go out, just plug the power cable out of socket. Get the Latest Tech News Delivered Every Day, Lifewire uses cookies to provide you with a great user experience. To make changes to the display, press Windows Key + P that will open the Project menu. To set this up you need to do the following. I have the same issue. The first option is to use the Miracast feature that can be found on Windows devices. Select System & Security3. I have changed the settings to ‘Do Nothing’ when closing the lid with and without plugged into power. How to auto turn off laptop screen while using external monitor. When you return, plug it in and the system should start automatically. Using Miracast on Windows Systems. Connect one end of the DVI or VGA cord to the DVI or VGA port of your laptop and the other end to … Discover new tech tips and troubleshooting guides as soon as they are published. One thing to note here is that if you restart your Windows computer, it will detect and activate the primary screen which is the laptop screen. Your laptop might use a HDMI cable, DisplayPort, mini-DisplayPort or include a docking station, so find the right cable for your needs and plug it into your monitor. From the left hand menu, select “Choose what closing the lid does”. With the lid closed the signal is lost to the new monitor. In most cases, you can use a secondary monitor if your laptop screen is non-functional. Keeping the lid closed, hit any key on the external keyboard to wake the MacBook/Pro from sleep; The Mac will now use the external display as the primary monitor, keeping the laptop in clamshell mode; Whichever method you use to enter into clamshell mode, the Mac laptop will run that way with the lid closed. To set the lid closing action to “do nothing” while on AC power, enter: To set the lid closing action to “do nothing” while on DC/battery power, enter: You may change the integer value at the end of the command to the following for the associated action: You can also use a pre-configured script to change the actions for closing your laptop’s lid instantaneously. How do I stop the display closing down when the laptop lid is shut, please? 1 last question, Can you help to show us how to do copy and paste after connected to extended monitor? After making these changes, click the Save changes option. Control Panel\System and Security\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings/Change advanced power settingsFrom here expand on “Display …Turn off display after” and select NEVER on battery and plugged in. If he closes the screen, then the video to the external display is power off. Select Control Panel2. Running Windows 10. but what if i want to turn the computer off. Power options for lid closing open. Now I’m able to use the big monitor. For me this option is very useful as I keep my laptop running all the time. Via Clamshell Mode a.k.a. Your instructions couldn’t be any simpler! It is possible to use the DisplayLink device with the laptop lid closed, however this needs to be configured. How do I remedy this? Step 1: With your Mac laptop turned on and running, close the lid to activate sleep mode. This can be a problem when hooking your laptop up to an external monitor. i dont see no comments about waking up, with lid closed.as i see it, having the laptop stuffed away under the worktable, external keys, monitor and sound, is awesome. For example, if you are connecting an LED TV, it will have the capability of streaming audio in addition to video from the laptop. Thanks, Mike I have selected to do nothing when I close the lid while the laptop is connected to the power source. Chances are if you're using an external monitor, you're probably near a power source, so it may be a good idea to only change the close lid behavior when your computer is plugged in. iTechtics is a technology blog focusing on Windows news, software and downloads, Software tips and tricks, Web services, Security and Office productivity. After connecting your Windows laptop with the monitor, you would want to close the lid of your laptop but not let it shutdown as it will stop displaying everything on the monitor and furthermore it also helps you to save some battery on your laptop. Suggestions to keep using both external monitors? You can also use the below-given commands in Command Prompt to change the action for closing the laptop’s lid instantaneously. I have changed power options but monitor still goes to sleep when I close laptop lid. When you're ready to connect to your docking … Now you can close the lid and still the display on external display won’t be disturbed and the system keeps on running. This setting is not available in all systems. I have the settings set at "do nothing" when the laptop lid is closed with power cord plugged in. Can't close laptop when using external monitor I just got an Inspiron 6000 last week. my laptop keeps shut down after 9 minutes when connected to external monitor. Itechtics staff is a team of technology experts led by Usman Khurshid. What do you do when you want to run the laptop with lid closed? Or, if don’t want to interrupt an ongoing file download, but for some reason you need to close the lid. I have new XPS 15. Thank you so much. This is exactly what I was looking for! To prevent this, you need to tell the computer not to go into low power mode. Reply. I really needed a bigger screen your tips really helped! The Do Nothing option might seem useless for closing the laptop’s lid, but it can come in handy. I am using VGA connection. So much better for my eyes. This script was created and then shared on Microsoft Technet Gallery for the public to use. For example, Macbooks and some Windows laptops use Thunderbolt, Mini DisplayPort, or Mini-DVI ports to connect to external monitors. Thanks for the tips. for now, How to use laptop closed with external monitor is that often people searched on search engines, and then in this blog, in this article, I will explain information about How to use laptop closed with external monitor. I have set power settings to “NEVER” go to sleep and lid closing is set to “Do Nothing” but it keeps shutting down my laptop. Thank you soo much for these tips! im trying the “usb wake up ” in bios settings, but my keyboard and mouse is wireless, (and i dont fully understand the settings, i guess)i need that first initial usb- wake up. SHOP SUPPORT. Use the Control Panel—not Windows 10’s Settings app—to change this behavior. Adam has been writing about mobile technology since 2011. Can't close laptop when using external monitor I just got an Inspiron 6000 last week. So if you have a broken laptop screen, it will be difficult to start the computer as the laptop will always detect its own LCD as the primary display and will try to activate it until the system is fully booted. I think on my laptop i may need to keep it open to help it breath, so I’ve been trying that and it seems to be working. You can use your Mac laptop in closed-display mode (also known as “clamshell” mode) if you have an external display attached. Windows puts your laptop into a power-saving mode when you close the lid, which usually means that your computer will power down when you close the lid, even when an external display is connected. Just follow the steps below to enable audio through HDMI device. If you do this, be careful! It’s important to note that you need to select “Do Nothing” for the “On battery” section too. Restore it, How to Connect AirPods to a Windows 10 PC, The 8 Best Laptops for Graphic Design in 2020, Windows 10 Battery Report: What It Is And How to Use It, The 8 Best Gaming Laptops for Battery Life in 2020, How to Turn Your Computer Into a WI-Fi Hotspot in Windows 10. You can reach out to us for further help and support. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. It didn't use to work this way: I could close the notebook and the external display continued to work. Easy to follow instructions! Should You Upgrade or Replace Your Laptop. In the drop down options of “when I close the lid” select “Do nothing”. It will be disabled when the second screen only option is selected. For this reason, you can choose different settings for when your laptop is on battery and when it's plugged in. I have two external monitors, one through HDMI, the other through the Thunder Port. I just purchased a HP Pavilion G62-339WM laptop. When I close the lid of the notebook the external display turns off; using fn + f8 doesn't seem to help. But if there are other malfunctioning parts like your video card, for example, the external display may not work [5]. You can try using Autostart on power on in the BIOS settings. And is it fully shutting down at around 5 minutes, or is it crashing? A USB-C to USB adapter or cable if you're using a USB mouse or keyboard with a Mac that has USB-C ports. He uses an external display at work but has to keep the screen of the laptop open. I was doing this for a while, but now my computer is overheating and shutting down. The advantage of using HDMI is that you can also stream audio through the monitor device. If you cannot locate the battery icon, click the arrow that points up (Show Hidden Icons) to reveal more icons. To connect to an external display and turn off the laptop display, you will select the fourth option “Second screen only”. What Is a Power Button and What Are the On/Off Symbols? If it's not visible on the desktop, the battery icon will be there. While you can also use other means to connect to an external display like VGA, DisplayPort and DVI port, HDMI is the most used digital port of all. I plugged in my external monitor and keyboard last night and found that no matter which setting it was on (internal monitor, external monitor, both monitors) when I shut the pc, the system went into it's 'hibernate' state, which meant that if I want to use the.