Deck is large (16′ x 33′). To calculate the hardness of a piece of a hardwood, the Janka hardness test is used. This wood is one of the most odourous I ever worked with. Ipe has a very tight dense grain structure , when it it left to weather it develops a surface with suede like texture . I would like to use it on my new deck but will not do so. Janka Hardness and fire rating coupled with the warm natural beauty of the wood you will begin to understand why Ipe flooring is the wood floor for the future. In fact, Ipe decking exceeds all existing code requirements for exterior constructions. While the test is not something you can perform on your own, it’s simple to comprehend. It’s fantastic in this application, and our customers accepted it instantly. My deck was dry to the touch within a couple… Read more ». Janka Rating: Cumaru’s Janka rating is a towering 3540, just below Ipe’s, and amongst the top five highest ratings available today. . Ipê is a native brazilian word meaning “tree with hard bark” and you should pronounce it I (like the I in Indian) Pê (like in Pension). We have installed an IPE deck in exterior more than a year ago. If I remember correctly, I believe I used polyurethane glue to hold things together. Yep, it’s like machining metal, pilot holes must match the fastener for diameter and depth, screws have to be fastened at a specific torque setting or they’ll snap. It seems to be improving the glue hold. These beetle’s larvae do the damage, the final stage of which is to bore out the exit hole in the wood, fly around for 1-2 weeks, mate. One reason is that it’s available in many colors. How do you prepare small pieces for gluing? Ipe is very hard, and pilot holes will be needed. Janka Hardness: 3,510 lbf (15,620 N) 4. First you should consider where the product is going. That was 10 years ago and everything is fine. It boasts a Janka rating of 3,680, making it extremely hard to dent. Mahalo Eric… that’s why the Ipe is part of structure to keep it from floating. Common Name(s): Ipe, Brazilian Walnut, Lapacho, Scientific Name: Handroanthus spp. I am not sure if it is accurate, but I heard it has the same fire rating as concrete… I can believe it. Color/Appearance: Heartwood can vary in color from reddish brown, to a more yellowish olive brown or darker blackish brown; sometimes with contrasting darker brown/black stripes. It will get direct sunlight pretty much all day. From reading the comments and specs, it looks like a waste of time. Is this real Ipe? There is a small movement after milling as well. Many of the east coast boardwalks have Ipe planks that have been in service for over 50 years with little to no maintenance. If you’re redoing your hardwood floors or renovating a deck remember to plan accordingly. I’ve been using Brazilian IPE since 2003. I make dundun drumsticks out of it. However, Ipe species grow in very low densities, with mature trees only occurring once per 300,000 to 1,000,000 square feet (3 to 10 hectares) of forest area. Watch out with Bolivian IPE for decks…nowhere as trouble free as Brazilian variety. Ipe Hardwood. In a segmented bowl, there are lots of end-grain glue joints. It is rated with Grade A, the same grade applied to concrete and cement in regards to fire rating. If it’s going into a kids playroom or room that is often used you’ll want hardwood that is in actually hard. The Janka hardness rating for ipe is 3,680, which is 8 times harder than that of a California redwood tree. It does go into the entry of the house. Here are some of the basic characteristics of Ipe wood: 1. I’ve started wiping ipe pieces with acetone to remove sawdust and surface oils. I reapply the stain about every 5 years or so on the horizontal parts, making sure to apply… Read more ». Average Dried Weight: 69 lbs/ft3 (1,100 kg/m3) 5. HARDWOOD JANKA RATINGS *Red Oak with a Janka rating of 1290 is the industry benchmark for comparing the relative hardness of different wood species. It is one of the best measures of the ability of a wood species to withstand denting and wear. The most common reason for testing is to determine whether the species of hardwood you have is a suitable use of flooring for your home. Hardness. Got BazilianIpe sample for my future deck, left it outside (sun and some rain) and found a large crack after 3 weeks. Superb weathering characteristics. You will know it because your saw blades will wear out faster than you have ever seen! With a Janka hardness of 3680, Ipe is ideal for many projects where durability, strength and resistance to abrasion are a must. It is beautiful with dark brown color and performing perfectly fine. Any input would be helpful as… Read more », Ipe is naturally dark reddish in color. It is really beautiful. Ipe, also known as Brazilian Walnut is one of the most durable hardwood flooring on the market. Mold and mildew grew under the Sikkens after a few years, so I tried to remove it with a very powerful commercial pressure washer with no success. This force is recorded in both pounds-force (lbf) and kilo-Newtons (kN). It works by measuring the force required to embed a.444 inch steel ball into the wood to half the ball’s diameter. Ipe or Brazilian walnut is top-notch if you want the hardest and most durable flooring on the market. Brazilian Walnut (also known as Ipe) Flooring is incredibly popular and this can probably be credited equally for it's beauty and incredible density. We would like to keep it that way. Workability: Overall, Ipe is a difficult wood to work, being extremely hard and dense, with high cutting resistance during sawing. It's grown in South America so please be sure to only buy it from reputable companies that have sustainable harvesting and re-planting. The Janka Test measures the force required to embed a 11.28 millimeter (0.444 inch) steel ball into wood to half its diameter. Formerly placed in the Tabebuia genus, species of Ipe (H. guayacan, H. impetiginosus, H. serratifolius) were moved to the Handroanthus genus in 2007 based on genetic studies. Endgrain: Diffuse-porous; solitary and radial multiples; medium to large pores in no specific arrangement, moderately numerous to numerous; tyloses and mineral/gum deposits occasionally present; parenchyma unilateral, winged, and marginal; narrow rays, spacing normal; ripple marks present. Grain/Texture: Has a fine to medium texture, with the grain varying from straight to irregular or interlocked. You could start with this list, filtered by “very durable” woods: https://www.wood-database.com/wood-finder/?fwp_decay=very-durable&fwp_commercial=6da0bd3c7c6cc1d259c7583e8615c9d3. It outranks Teak, Oak, and many other hardwoods. Ipé is also touted as lasting 75-100 years; that’s a long time! into water? This wood is not sustainably harvested. Wipe it down with acetone where you’re putting glue. Has anyone experienced an allergic reaction to an IPE wood deck? Red Brown with Variegated Olive Tones: 73: 3680: Very Low: Low to None: Comments: Everything about Ipe wood is extreme. IF they are somewhat grouped up to inches apart or less, tben they are Powderpost Beetles. I live in south Louisiana with high humidity environment and I want to use this on second story deck. Still, is like some tea, but not mild at all. Rot Resistance: Rated as very durable; excellent insect resistance, though some species are susceptible to marine borers. Hardness in woods is usually rated on a Janka scale. FYI: I receive a commission on sales generated through links to Amazon, eBay, etc. Trunk diameter - 2-4 ft (.6-1.2 m) 3. Epay – at least that’s how I pronounce it. We just bought a house with a 1200 sq ft deck made of IPE. Wish a scientist could weigh in as most concerned about adverse effects for little kids if any, as both dusts are BAD for us, and if it could off gassed ??? It is almost incomparable regarding strength, hardness, and the length of time it can last. Required fields are marked *. It works by measuring the force required to embed a .444 inch steel ball into the wood to half the ball’s diameter. Ipe is well known as one of the hardest woods in the world. It is over ninety-one percent harder than merbau, is roughly one hundred and twenty-six percent harder than wenge, and over two thirds harder than santos mahogany's ranking of 2200. (formerly placed in the Tabebuia genus), Distribution: Tropical Americas (Central and South America); also farmed commercially, Tree Size: 100-130 ft (30-40 m) tall, 2-4 ft (.6-1.2 m) trunk diameter, Average Dried Weight: 69 lbs/ft3 (1,100 kg/m3), Specific Gravity (Basic, 12% MC): .91, 1.10, Modulus of Rupture: 25,660 lbf/in2 (177.0 MPa), Elastic Modulus: 3,200,000 lbf/in2 (22.07 GPa), Crushing Strength: 13,600 lbf/in2 (93.8 MPa), Shrinkage: Radial: 5.9%, Tangential: 7.2%, Volumetric: 12.4%, T/R Ratio: 1.2. Ipé’s density makes it extremely har… Though uncommon, certified sources of Ipe are available. I’ve heard that Brazilian ipe never needs any kind of finish when used in decks. However when one of the chairs fell into the pool it floated, just barely, but it floated. This necessitates the clearing of large sections of rainforest trees (most of which are of little commercial value). This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Remember that a decj have to be sealed or protected. Moderate natural luster. Aside from its extreme hardness, it’s good for a few other reasons as well. Its incredible hardness and strength make it well suited for flooring applications, though it is referred to as “Brazilian Walnut” among flooring dealers—though it is not related to true Walnut in the Juglans genus. Hardness, work-ability, durability, lifespan and cost. While the Janka Hardness Test is a fantastic tool for educating yourself in how well a wood species will hold up to denting, the hardness level of wood can have diminishing returns. The scale used in the table is pounds-force. I’m also concerned about glue joints holding. Appearance: Whitish sapwood is clearly demarcated. Ipe is famous primarily because it is one of the hardest and strongest woods in the world. Ipe easily holds up to abuse inflicted by pets, small children, and parties! We would like to set some planters on the deck. This industry standard test’s purpose is to measure the resistance of wood to denting and extensive wear. Did we get ripped off? It cracked, even with an almost-too-large pilot hole. So I began to think he fool me. There’s a chance there may be discoloration of the water though, which might not be aesthetically pleasing. (Ipe was used for the boardwalk along the beach of New York City’s Coney Island, and was said to have lasted 25 years before it needed to be replaced: an amazing lifespan given the amount of traffic and environmental stresses put upon the wood.). but to me it smell almost musty, like a wet towel that’s been balled up. Cumaru hardwood has a Janka hardness of 3,340 and Ipe has a hardness of 3,680. I use it with great success with hard to glue woods. Above is the list showing the hardness of various hardwoods. To calculate the hardness of a piece of a hardwood, the Janka hardness test is used. looking for recommendations for the best finish to put on exterior ipa. Penofin oil. Not necessarily, especially if the moisture content was below the standard 12%, which would be plausible if the relative humidity was low. We have recently installed an ipe deck. Cumaru’s sanding properties are favorable, although the acceptance of a finish is noted as problematic at times. When we bought our patio furniture we were told it was ipe. Heat treating the wood will kill the larvae, but watch OUT- they can spread to other woods easily. I have a grill on rollers, two tables, 8 chairs, and a few planters on the decks. I built two decks on my house 15 years ago and sealed them with Sikkens. I have a client looking for us to heat their IPE deck (not yet installed) for snow melting. Sorry for the English, I’m from Bolivia, It wasnt Ipe, it was Caranda (Proposis) :(, (This is a monthly update, and your email will be kept private.). This is a handy treatment for any hard-to-glue joints. This wood is high maintenance if exposed to weather or sun. Any recomandatitions? It is also a good indicator of how hard a species is to saw or nail. This, in turn, allows manufacturers to decide which types of wood are suitable for hardwood flooring. It is a reddis color with hints of yellow in a very tight grain. This method was chosen so that the result would leave an indention 100 square millimeters in size. Much easier application than Penofin as you can apply in full sun/heat and, if applied correctly, you don’t have to go back and wipe it all down. There are harder species … Learn how your comment data is processed. How hard is this to screw down compared to normal deck boards? Elastic Modulus: 3,200,000 lbf/in2 (22.07 GPa) 9. To my knowledge that is the correct pronunciation. It is extremely difficult to damage, and exhibits resistant qualities to wear. Janka Rating: Ipe's Janka rating is an unmatched 3680, virtually the hardest wood available. Slip Resistance. Figured pieces of lopacho can be gorgeous! GREAT wood for durability. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Also, Ipe can be difficult to glue properly, and surface preparation prior to gluing is recommended. The Janka test measures the amount of force required to embed a 0.444" steel ball into the wood to half of its diameter. I have a request from a customer for a salad bowl made from IPE. The hardness of a particular flooring species should not be the only deciding factor when choosing a floor. I buy cutoffs from deck makers, so there is no waste. That explains the existence of Black Tali. Ipe is not related to walnut. Ipe also has a pronounced blunting effect on cutting edges. I lived there (and a few years in Queens) most of the time as well. I pe decking surpasses the ADA (American with Disabilities Act) requirements for Static Coefficient of friction in a wet environment. Colour, pattern, grain, style, finish and cost also need to be considered. The Janka Hardness Test Named after its inventor, Gabriel Janka, the Janka Hardness Test is a way to determine how durable a species of wood is. Currently, there are no decking options that compare to Ipe’s many benefits. Get your free Ipe decking quote directly from the mill. It’s certainly as dense as ebony or the denser rosewoods, and it looks just fine. Crushing Strength: 13,600 lbf/in2 (93.8 MPa) 7. The Janka Scale measures the hardness or density of each wood species. . Ipe is one of the hardest, commercially available, woods in the world. Like Ebay but with a “p”. The acetone cuts the surface enough to allow a good glue joint. In this case, Ipe hardwood would be the best option due to its incredible hardness (scoring a 3,680 lbs on the Janka Scale) and durability. The hardness of the wood also varies on the direction of the wood grain. I applied semi-transparent stain to the ipe to keep it looking great. The Janka values presented are the average of penetrations on both flat grain or plain sawn and vertical grain or quartersawn boards. Must be sanded yearly and oiled. The Janka hardness test is the international standard for measuring the resistance of a sample of wood to denting and wear. In certain species, there are powdery yellow deposits within the wood. Comments: Ipe is a wood of extremes: extremely dense and durable, as well as extremely difficult to work. If you have small children that enjoy dropping anything and everything they get their hands on then you’re going to want a harder type of flooring. I had been a long-time user of Penofin for hardwood (about 800sq ft of ipe deck/fence 4-17+ years old), but recently learned it tends to darken the wood especially if it’s exposed to full sun. Fluorescence: A Secret Weapon in Wood Identification, Bow Woods (from a mathematical perspective), Brazilian Rosewood, East Indian, and Other Rosewoods, Genuine Lignum Vitae and Argentine Lignum Vitae, BOOK: WOOD! Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Prices are moderate for an imported tropical species. Ipe Is Too Hard. It's expressed in psi, or pounds-per-square-inch. Termites hate it cause it’s so dense, thus wearing out saw blades! Ipe can be difficult to distinguish visually from Cumaru, another dense South American timber, though Ipe tends to be darker, and lacks the subtle yet characteristic vanilla/cinnamon scent while being worked. The Janka hardness test is the so-called “high heel test”. Coarse texture, highly interlocked grain. MUST BE SANDED each year to remove checking and then two costs of Tung oil. This does not mean they aren’t durable, as is evidenced by the accompanying 25 year warranty. Contact IpeDepot.com today. Unfortunately the previous owner stained or painted it. During the sanding process, the dust produced has been reported to cause allergic reactions often. I made a patio table of Ipe and Tigerwood, that needed 1/4″ lag bolts in the endgrain. (, clearing of large sections of rainforest trees, https://www.terramai.com/blog/ipe-environmental-sourcing-issues/, https://www.wood-database.com/wood-finder/?fwp_decay=very-durable&fwp_commercial=6da0bd3c7c6cc1d259c7583e8615c9d3. Modulus of Rupture: 25,660 lbf/in2 (177.0 MPa) 8. Testing on the surface of a plank perpendicular to the grain is known as side hardness. Your email address will not be published. I had to make a ‘tap’ from a lag screw to tap threads into the wood. (Much like white oak is used for whiskey barrels — this application is known as “tight cooperage.”) If you mean the latter, my guess is . See the articles Wood Allergies and Toxicity and Wood Dust Safety for more information. How strong is too strong? Janka hardness of a given wood species is defined by a resistance to indentation test as measured by the load (pounds of pressure) required to embed a 11.28mm or 0.444" diameter ball to one-half its diameter into the wood. The Janka Hardness Test The Janka Test is a measure of the hardness of wood. I guess it may depend on your definition of “permeable.” Every single wood, including ipe, contains moisture and will reach equilibrium moisture content with the surrounding air based on the relative humidity. I totally agree! Family 2 consists of two parents, one teenager, and no pets. Having tried a test piece it looks to be dark brown to reddish in color. There’s no doubt Ipé is extremely durable, in terms of hardness, the Brazilian hardwood is more than twice as hard as Kebony Clear on the Janka hardness test. Moderate natural luster. The Janka Side Hardness test measures the force required to press an 11.28mm (0.444 inch) steel ball to half its diameter cross-grain into a block of wood. The test measures the pressure required to embed an 11.28mm (.444 in) diameter steel ball into wood to half the ball's diameter. I seem to notice it a day or 2 after sanding. The Janka Test was developed as a variation of the Brinell hardness test. If you sand Ipe, I highly recommend wearing a… Read more ». It is also beneficial to bear in mind that dents and scratches are inevitable to any flooring, regardless of its rating on the Janka hardness scale. Hard to say, but I doubt that anything that would leach out of the wood would be any more dangerous than chlorine anyway. If we use risers what material would be best rubber, cork, terra cotta, nylon? Woods with a higher rating are harder than woods with a lower rating. Wondering what the best type of hardwood is for your indoor / outdoor floor, or deck? Mild? We sub-contracted the work for decking, lattice, pergolas, etc. The Janka scale is used to determine the relative hardness of particular domestic or exotic wood species. If so it weathers beautifully with no finush at all. I tried yella wood 1 x 6 treated deck boards and they lasted less than 7 years. I was a landscaper for a decade in Louisiana. should probably be sealed with epoxy or something to avoid potential rot. If you don’t stain the ipe with a uv-blocking stain, it will eventually turn grey. There are oil finishes available for Ipe that will enhance the natural colour .The best maintenance is to keep it clean and wash it with a biodegradable deck wash has some hydrogen peroxide in it , and re oil as req’d. The Janka hardness test provies a relative scale where the higher the number indicates the harder the wood. Calling Ipe “Brazilian walnut” is a marketing tool. Any suggestions? Thanks, I built two decks out of ipe 15 years ago. Odor: Ipe has a mild scent while being worked. I don’t know if it is the dust that is left behind. Drilling the deck is not required. Client wanting to use it IN an 8′ x 8′ spa to create a non floating shallow “Kiddy Pool” Is this a toxic/bleeding condition, and same question if using teak with it as well for final product? I make segmented bowls, among other things. Janka Hardness: 3684 As a flooring option, ipe is an incredibly hard and durable wood species. But Bolivian IPE is another story. Identifying and Using Hundreds of Woods Worldwide, POSTER: Worldwide Woods: Ranked by Hardness. Those decks continue to look marvelous. It’s also 8 times harder than Redwood, a fact that surprises many except those who own a deck or floor made of Ipe. I don’t have carbide turning tools, and it sounds like HSS dulls very quickly, so lots of sharpening after very little turning. Ipe is, undoubtedly, one of the hardest woods in the world. Guayacan comes from lignum vitae trees. Grain/Texture: Has a fine to medium texture, with the grain varying from straight to irregular or interlocked. Thank you for your reply, mate. Kebony does come with a 30-year warranty and is still as hard as other Brazilian Hardwoods. I will have some furniture on it. https://www.terramai.com/blog/ipe-environmental-sourcing-issues/. (Swartzia spp.) We have found this to be one of the best measures of the ability of wood species to withstand denting and wear. Please can you help me with your opinion. Ipé has always been known for its strength, being branded as “Iron Wood” by some importers. There’s no doubt Ipé is extremely durable, in terms of hardness, the Brazilian hardwood is more than twice as hard as Kebony Clear on the Jankahardness test. When worked with properly, it can be quite attractive, depending on what is called for,… Read more ». Bolivian is sustainable, Brazilian is not. I found ipe to be stunningly strong and rot resistant. Janka Hardness: 2920 – 2x harder than Hard Maple. Ipé has always been known for its strength, being branded as “Iron Wood” by some importers. Straight-grained wood turns well, though the natural powdery yellow deposits can sometimes interfere with polishing or finishing the wood. With a Janka hardness rating of 3680, Ipe can withstand the most extreme elements and commercial wear and tear. I ended up power sanding everything back to raw ipe, then sealing with semi-transparent Cabot Australian Timber Oil.