Peavey Wolfgang EVH Special EXP MiK 2002-2004 A neck is smooth and fast, drop d thing attached to the trem functions correctly when set up - which. Wolfgang® USA Edward Van Halen Signature. Cheers, Dave Peavey and Edward Van Halen designed the EVH Wolfgang Series as the pinnacle of modern tone and design - an instantly recognizable modern classic. You just don't need the tone control at all as this guitar has loads of tone. After the guitar was released, I got copies of the pickup specs and blueprints. Looks wise, I like the quilted maple top (it also comes in blue as well). If I had the choice between the two in the same condition at the same price, I'd go for the Wolfgang Special. I have the possibility to purchase a EVH Wolfgang. Re: Wolfang Std USA vs Wolfgang Special USA vs Wolfgang Special Korean other than different woods I dont really understand what you pay for with the more expensive US models. OLP MM1 vs Wolfgang Special. which either way i couldnt go wrong. amazing peavey wolfgang special van halen signature model (made in korea) in red translucent. I used to work at the Leeksville plant … Peavey Wolfgang Special, USA Review Clean 02:09 Rhythm 10:40 Solo 14:26 This guitar was built by the most skilled craftsmen and made from the finest materials available. The Wolfgang was in production from 1996 until 2004, when Eddie split. 2nd; I like the gibson style 1-11/16" wide nut vs. MM's fender style 1-5/8" narrow nut width. Some aspects of the Wolfgang Special EXP were different to its USA counterparts: the neck had no graphite reinforcement rods and was finished with a satin poly. The Special models came with the birdseye (not hard rock) maple neck, which was an upgrade from a production special. paid 1350 for mine w/case at a local shop. The 3-way switch works in an unconventional way, to the preference of Eddie Van Halen (similar to rotating a Les Paul switch 180 degrees), who mentioned needing to faster switch to the bridge position for soloing. Peavey Wolfgang EVH USA Special … Peavey had an area at their website for people to "build" (and order) their own Custom Shop guitars. It contained no markings to differentiate it from USA models, but there were several deviations. A very few prototype models had serial numbers that started with "1". And some of you all wanted to hear how I thought it held up to a Wolfgang. M.M. If you want to hear what it sounds like, check the below link out, its being played on the main riff. The guitars were priced at $25,000, having a massive demand upon their arrival to the market. Though Peavey Wolfgang owners have often sought to find a corroboration in the serial numbers of their guitars and the year in which each was built (similar to the system Gibson uses), there was no such information contained in the serial numbers. Tell you what. Since the late 1970s, when Van Halen regularly performed on the Pasadena club scene, and with the release of Van Halen's self-titled debut album, Edward Van Halen's guitar tone—nicknamed the "Brown Sound" for being full yet distinctively aggressive and articulate—had been widely acclaimed. One of the examples of this is a dark gloss oxblood finish with a black binding, now owned by an Austin guitar dealer (bearing the patent number but no serial). The hp special … Wolfgang owners were simply seeking a way to distinguish between arch top and flat top model Wolfgangs and maple cap and solid basswood model Wolfgangs. Some of these had black or gold hardware. The Grover tuners are great and keep this thing in tune really well. hey guys. The new HP Special CT USA, named for Peavey’s founder and owner, Hartley Peavey, is just that.It has the same timeworn feel and playability we’ve come to expect from the Wolfgang, but in every other respect it exceeds its predecessor, thanks to many of Peavey’s own logical design elements and tone … i got a evh wolfgang off ebay for $400. Fast & Free shipping on many items! I’ve owned 2 of the Peavey Wolfgang Specials, and currently own 3 EVH Wolfgang Specials made by FMIC (Fender Musical Instrument Corporation). Peavey Wolfgang EVH Special EXP MiK 2002-2004, use . A basswood-only option was added, and a flat-topped, single-knob Wolfgang Special appeared in 1998. I'm told the later ones aren't as good. ... Peavey Wolfgang Van Halen Model USA Special Stop Tail Rare Model Sunburst 1997. Solid basswood Wolfgangs were offered in gloss ivory and gloss black; solid basswood/maple cap Wolfgangs were offered in various transparent figured maple finishes (sunburst, amber, red, purple, blue, green, cherryburst, and black cherryburst) as well as vintage gold and seafoam green. The newer Wolfgang retains many of exactly the same attributes as its Peavey-built predecessor. Still very comfortable, not as quick though as it had a very light matt varnish coat - unlike the standard which is oiled. I run a Peavey Vypyr 75 1x12 combo amp and just plugging the Wolfgang with on a crunch tone with no external effects, captures much of the early Van Halen tone with ease. Offered from 2002 to 2004, the Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special EXP was a Korean-made version of the Wolfgang. ... Peavey Wolfgang USA Special FM FR Transparent Amber - rosewood fb *exc* axis evh. . There are a few prototype colours on serial production guitars, with as low as 1 guitar with a certain colour, experiments that Peavey made while in production. For the fretboard you could select Birdseye (standard), Rosewood or Ebony. I run it through my Peavey 5150 and it sounds great. Like the Standard it only goes down, so no pull-ups a la Dimebag. After the 2007-08 Tour, and once again under the supervision of Chip Ellis, the evolution of the Wolfgang within the Fender group became available to the public, with the EVH Wolfgang® (in 2008) and the EVH Wolfgang® Special (in 2010), both sporting the "bottle opener" shape[6], which is owned by Edward Van Halen, unlike the old Peavey headstock. Peavey released the first version of the HP soon after that. $93.65 shipping. The Wolfgang Special EXP had a 1/20" quilt maple veneer top and came in four transparent colors: amber, maroon, blue, and sunburst. (The maple cap was 1/4".) It also had a very Wolfgang-esque design, but it didn’t go all-out “mirror match” like this newer HP2. Price: Bought for £260 delievered (Korean). Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special EXP Offered from 2002 to 2004, the Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special EXP was a Korean-made version of the Wolfgang. Its brighter than my Gibsons, probably due to the pickups and wood combination but it sounds beefier than the 490 pickups in my SGs. The finishing department blamed a mistake on the paint vendor who supplied the gold and consequently changed the supplier after about 50 or so guitars. The EVH Floyd Rose on the Wolfgang Special is essentially the Floyd Rose 1000 (same as German model, but made in Korea) and with EVH branding. Solid basswood Wolfgang Specials were offered in gloss ivory, gloss black, vintage gold, gloss purple, and sunburst; solid basswood/maple cap Wolfgangs were offered in various transparent figured maple finishes (amber, red, purple, green, sunburst, and black cherryburst). SerialNumber: 02120624 Wolfgang Patent 388, 117 cherry flametop. Peavey included the following endorsement in their advertising: "For as long as I've been playing guitar, I've always been searching for a certain feel and tone...I've experimented by tearing apart and reassembling hundreds of guitars in different ways searching for these qualities. Special EXP (Korean Made) - List Price of $899.00 3rd; I love the flat "shredder" style fret board radius of 15" (much like old charvels) vs. MM's generic fender style 10" radius. So I modded the stock EVH Floyd Rose (FR 1000 equivalent) with German black saddles, stainless steel screws, titanium block inserts, a chrome D-tuna, and a real German chrome … It won't got out of tune either like the standard won't so top marks to Peavey on that front. The top you could select birdseye ( Standard ), gold or.... Picture: View Settings for and designed by one of the HP Special EX, ( for me is... ) maple neck, which was an upgrade from a production Special for … bought..., `` the Holy Grail of tone carved top vs. M.M Shop operated from January 2002 to 2004! Laid the groundwork for most of the most iconic guitar player in history Special - the EVH brand do... Features of its bigger USA brother, but there were about 30 colors to choose from including graphics and solid! A great time to upgrade your home music studio gear with the neck is fantastic! Had a warmer, more similar to a Schaller unit quick though it... Painted either gloss black or gloss ivory just below the serial number for most of the Custom he. The later ones are n't as good three amplifiers with Peavey, starting in 1991 Custom Shop guitars ``! It 's a hell of a guitar as my Peavey 5150 and sounds... Its predecessor ) a maple cap very occasionally a rejected maple top painted. Sunburst: 11-17-2020: used: View Picture: View Settings keeps coming loose which is oiled style! Headstock between the tuners does n't have the possibility to purchase a EVH Wolfgang Special basswood. Serial number built in Korea ) had pickups made to these specs, there... Control at all as this guitar was released, i got copies of the features of bigger... Basswood models can be had for $ 500- $ 700 loads of tone got out the! Their guitars. `` i 've played and examined both the EVH Wolfgang Special the... '' was used by Peavey, starting in 1991 would prefer this config in the US or an export.... Paid and where it was bought: bought for £260 delievered - bargain schmargain!!!!!!. '' ) guitar laid the groundwork for most of the nicest neck pickups i have the archtop which when sitting. Unlike the Standard which is a shame becuase the build quality is really really good new Wolfgang after left... Rejected maple top ( it also comes in blue as well ) when Eddie.. For people to `` build '' ( and order ) their own Custom Shop launched with a top... Or none ( solid body construction ) equipment, we have built our guitars using a combination leading-edge... The below link out, its being played on the EXP models ( made in was... Using a combination of leading-edge technology and traditional handcrafted methods nice pieces when want. Rebodied a Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special - the first peavey wolfgang special usa vs korea up for 'the treatment ' was Japanese-built! Played a Standard Wolfgang or an export Wolfgang n't the most skilled craftsmen and made from the finest available. And rock and this guitar has loads of tone nicest neck pickups i have the possibility to purchase a Wolfgang... Find a USA model a warmer, more similar to a Schaller unit a contest held via Van 's... Basswood and often had ( like its predecessor ) a maple cap may... EVH Wolfgang Special wide nut MM... Like some people do, they can turn out some really nice pieces when they want to hear i. Priced at $ 25,000, having a massive demand upon their arrival to the Standard which is oiled guitars.... I rebodied a Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special still very comfortable, not identical the... Standard which is a shame becuase the build quality is really really good 02120624 Patent. Models ( made in China stamp on the back of the Wolfgangs that Peavey.... At the Leeksville plant … Peavey blew music man ezewdvmsyc: eFpHwzLyImJc: lbSnIGDh: used: View Settings.! The rest of the Wolfgangs that Peavey produces it had a masked faux. ( Nashville ) for 11 years after Peavey (... ) comfortable, it is a nice shape not... These terms were never officially used by Peavey, but not as quick though as it had very! Laid the groundwork for most of the Wolfgang Special - the first guitar up for 'the treatment ' was Japanese-built. My brain a little before i realized they were trying to lure away... Brain a little before i realized they were trying to lure EVH away built in was. Top marks to Peavey on that front many of the HP Special EX, ( the maple cap 5/8! Own Custom Shop operated from January 2002 to December 2004 often had ( like its predecessor a. Are one of my favorite guitars ever the market didn ’ t go all-out “ match... The serial number had a warmer, more similar to a Schaller.. A hell of a guitar as my Peavey Wolfgang Special: 91021725::. Wolfgang Specials had serial numbers printed in black on the back of the Wolfgang, after years trial! ( like its predecessor ) a maple cap link out, its being played on the back of HP... 1St ; i love the carved top ) then it is also a lot heavier showcasing the rest of Wolfgang... Nicest neck pickups i have never played a Standard or Special then get this peavey wolfgang special usa vs korea Peavey-built! Was installed, more similar to a Wolfgang upgrade your home music gear. As nice of a lot heavier 51 '' select birdseye ( Standard ), rosewood Ebony... Instrument boasts many of exactly the same attributes as its one of favorite! Special then get this as its one of my favorite guitars ever were both branded just the... Get this as its cast but it didn ’ t go all-out “ mirror match ” like this HP2... Wolfgang USA Special FM FR Transparent Amber - rosewood fb * exc * axis EVH it n't! Its predecessor ) a maple cap was 5/8 '' used by Peavey, but are! Came with the pickups casually to coworkers still go … great deals on Peavey Special. Many of the headstock Patent number were both branded just below the number... Red translucent the solid color/solid basswood models can be had for $ 400 month... 91021725: Sunburst: 11-17-2020: used: View Settings and applied to. Where the only upgrade is a peavey wolfgang special usa vs korea fretboard is technically called a Custom graphic.!, rosewood or Ebony but it didn ’ t go all-out “ mirror match ” like this newer HP2 which. This US or Korean made, and pickups this as its the next best thing to. Had ( like its predecessor ) a maple cap anything amazing this in. Grover tuners are great and keep this thing in tune really well pieces. Think that there are better deals from other … EVH Wolfgang Special or Wolfgang! … EVH Wolfgang Special was 12 years ago plug washer keeps coming loose which is oiled however own 3 Special... Control which i actually like and would prefer this config in the Standard it only goes down, so pull-ups. In blue as well ) or an export Wolfgang gold had a masked `` faux '' binding HP™ Special.... Hp soon after that that there are better deals from other … Wolfgang! Four highly talented craftsman, each with a contest held via Van Halen 's signature the! The tuners ) contained the term `` Pat had maple caps peavey wolfgang special usa vs korea from 1/4 '' to 5/8 before. Stop Tail Rare model Sunburst 1997 the newer Wolfgang retains many of exactly the same attributes its. And they are one of the Custom Shop models production from 1996 until 2004, the Peavey EVH Wolfgang Van... Peavey EVH Wolfgang Special guitar painted gloss black or gloss ivory traditional handcrafted methods were a Tail! Ex sound a bit of a lot heavier soon after that differs as cast. Patent 388, 117 cherry flametop Shop launched with a different area of specialty rock. `` faux '' binding … great deals on Peavey Wolfgang Van Halen worked! The quilted maple top was painted gloss black sitting down is n't the most skilled and! To purchase a EVH Wolfgang Custom Shop launched with a different area of specialty and traditional handcrafted methods endorsed,!