Calamata olives? Lol! I would love to see a photo of the cut loaf so I can see what the texture is like inside after baking. The original formual requires no machine kneading but does do a bit of hand kneading in the beginning, I don't knead at all, not with machine, not with hand. This by far is my favorite bread. Mix until a wet sticky dough comes together, about 5 minutes. (i use rock salt, ie, coarse, sometimes). Many many thanks dear Jenny. What is her recipe for a Dutch oven ciabatta? Sourdough is a variety of bread formed through the application of a specially fermented flour and water mixture into normal bread components. I actually just used this recipe and shaped them into rolls and it came out great! I have tried some of your bread recipes and they all came out fine. It probably didn’t rise as much as the picture but still the taste is excellent and the crust is beautiful. I’m sure this comment will not be posted, but it is so wrong not to correct the recipe and remove that instruction. Finally, thanks to you I am able to bake delicious loaves of bread. The countertop was probably colder. !-Thanks for everything!!!! I am making these rolls for the first time and cant wait until tomorrow morning when I will mix everything together. Oh my – never use hot water – you must be kidding. Did you use milk in one of your batches? I can’t figure out why my breads come out of the oven crusty but then soften up as they cool? The ciabatta rolls look absoultely wonderful to me, and it's interesting to see the dough develop without any mechanical aid too. I gave up searching for yeast in stores for weeks so I ordered a package online from Amazon and it only took a week. I live at 3500′ elev. I found a source for Fleischmann’s yeast on the Internet in 1 lb packages. What is the difference between using milk vs water from your experience? Since about 18 months ago when I found Jenny Can Cook TV show on No-Knead crusty bread rolls I don’t buy bread anymore of any kind. I love the taste, just wish the bottom layer would not be so dense. Next time I will let it rise in a draft free place like the oven. You can heat it in a pan on the stovetop, in the microwave, or in a hot pot that is used for the sole purpose of heating water. After 30 minutes of Rest(autolyze), the first fold (folding) 8. Each time the bottom 1/8-1/4 inch of the loaf is gummy while the rest has risen nicely. Now I am 82 years old and have discovered your amazing bread making techniques. Note: There's lots more on this recipe in my blog. The more you work the dough the more even the crumb structure of the finished loaf will be. (I haven't added the oil to the autolyse so I hope your reply is to add it when I add the starter). This formula is adapted from Wild Yeast's great recipe here: http://www.wildyeastblog.com/2008/07/28/sourdough-ciabatta-rolls/, with the following changes: 2. No Knead Ciabatta. Sorry to see this so late, but I live very near Denver and have made this adjustment: I make this bread frequently using Jenny’s Dutch oven method and simply extend the initial baking time to 35 minutes and then bake the loaf another eight minutes uncovered after removing the parchment paper. Stop trying too hard to bake the perfect bread! When Jim Lahey’s recipe for no-knead … Ingredients: 3 cups (15 ounces) unbleached all-purpose white flour, plus more as needed; Scant 1 1/2 teaspoons salt; 3/4 teaspoon instant yeast; 1 … I’ve just started making my own bread to cut down on the sodium, but this looks like a really nice loaf of bread if it is airy on the inside and crusty on the outside, my favorite way. PLEASE BRING BACK JENNY’S SHOWS I LOVE HER COOKING SO EASY AND SIMPLE TO COOK WITH HER.. AND I LOVEEEEEEEEEEEEE, HER KITCHEN SOOOOO, HOMEY LOOKEY I ALWAYS WATCHED HER BEFORE SHE WENT OFF OF THE TV.. SHOWS.. Secondly, with this everyday no-knead sourdough bread. Repeat the rising-folding process one … Never made Ciabatta before but have made many other Jenny recipes with great success. Wish people would give credit where credit is due. The sour dough starter is what gives the loaf its characteristic flavor. I’m going to try this for the first time today! Can it be frozen? You want a more open crumb?! Made this bread last night and it turned out so good and the crust was so crusty, I’ll be making this often! OLD yeast to the 1/4 tsp. Plz. I am going to try half and half whole wheat and white flours today! Parchment paper and/or aluminum foil make for a very easy clean-up. It is delicious and I always get compliments on the bread. It was my first attempt at Ciabatta and it will not be my last. Thx for the great lessons. Let stand on counter top for 35 minutes. Thanks! Remove the baked loaf of sourdough bread and let it cool on a wire rack. Your wonderful information has been an absolute life changer for me. There’s no kneading required with this method. 1st refresh of starter Fri night, 2nd feeding Sat morning, make dough Sat evening, refer overnight and divide, proof, bake Sun morning. Mix until a wet sticky dough … Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let stand until more than doubled in size and bubbles are present on surface, 12 to 18 hours. Because of you, I have made numerous no knead loaves of bread with beautiful results. cant thank you enough! After 30 minutes of Rest, the fourth fold (folding) 11. The dough is wetter, it ferments for 18 hours at room temperature and is shaped into a long, fairly flat, ciabatta … of salt for an entire loaf of bread is not going to kill you! You’d be surprised at how fast it adds up! Would the baking time change for rolls? Ciabatta is Italian for "slipper". So tender but still heals up to chicken parmigiana. Sourdough 101; no knead ciabatta bread. Cover and let rest for 1-4 hours to autolyse. Plus ordering online was also successful. As long as it's natural, made with love and tastes great then what more can you ask for...?! I admit I didn't follow it to a T, something I have to work on. Using a sharp knife, cut into halves and shape each one into a ciabatta of 1 inch thickness. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and let stand until more than doubled in size and bubbles are present on surface, 12 to 18 hours. Makes me want a juicy sandwich...sliced crosswise, perfect crumb to hold all those Italian juices for a great sandwich. I think where I made my mistake is I let it rise in a my kitchen which was only 60 degrees. No knead doughs are never firm, that’s why you need a scraper. I’m writing to thank you for this wonderful, quick recipe. I added a little sugar to the recipe. The tutorial for the 78% hydration ciabatta can be found HERE. Not so much to make it sweet but to the edge, it brings out the flavor, it works well. January 3, 2019 // Jump To Recipe . Up to you! Very easy to make and I’ve always wanted to make a crusty crust that you find in some restaurants. 7. Unless you've managed to hide the sections of crumb [?] Wish you had your TV show–you are so funny-a very subtle mid-western type of humor—-:)==OH BTW-you’re also a great chef!! Go thru and read the appreciative comments to Jenny. Best ciabatta I have made. Jenny – Wish you were still on TV. Nothing to do that it’s not a Ciabatta bread nor a sourdough starter. I’ve never baked bread before because of all the kneading & preparation but your method looks/seems so easy I’d like to try it for myself1 Thank you for simplifying it … very grateful!! Sourdough ciabatta not only has a lovely flavor, it is an excellent vehicle for some of my favorite foods. This will not only help you, but others. This site is powered by Drupal. It did bubble and rise a bit. You are sweet and you always make me smile. Aug 10, 2016 - No Knead Ciabatta. Nice to share this – however, why make an unkind comment that you felt that you would not be published. Salt also controls the action of the yeast (slows it down) doesn’t it? In a large bowl, stir together the flour, yeast, and salt. You can lightly grease some aluminum foil. Mix evenly until no flour is visible (dough temperature 22.5℃). The tender and open crumb can hold massive amounts of olive oil, butter, my favorite creamy blue cheese or Nutella. Why are some people so quick to think that others have ulterior motives. Hi! This will be my go to loaf when I have company from now on. PLEASE SHARE IF YOU GET A SOURDOUGH RECIPE…LOVE ME SOME SOURDOUGH ANYTHING❣️. – As with all your loaves. I decided to scrape it onto floured counter, divide, spread apart, tuck edges under, put a little corn meal on top, cover and proof, then flip one at a time onto parchment paper already on peel and slide onto hot stone. It combines the ease and simplicity of the original yeasted version, … Turned out absolutely perfect! Sourdough ciabatta not only has a lovely flavor, it is an excellent vehicle for some of my favorite foods. Sourdough is a variety of bread formed through the application of a specially fermented flour and water mixture into normal bread components. Indeed, you want some crumb with your air. I am happy with the crumb, just think it might even be better for a large one. Meantime place a disposable 6-cup muffin pan or other small pan in the oven, making sure there is room for your bread pan - if not, place the small pan on a lower rack. Using a scraper fold dough over 10-12 times & shape or stretch into a rough 12-inch loaf. If you are unhappy with the way your bread turned out, take the time to give a constructive comment. After 30 minutes of Rest, the third fold (folding) 10. Stir gently until all the yeast is totally dissolved. When I mix the bread to rise I do one of 2 things, I will turn the oven on to preheat for just a minute to give it a little blast of heat and then quickly shut it off. I can say this because it has always worked for me. As well as making this recipe the original way, I’ve made the dough using potato water (hate to waste anything) and it tastes great. You should not have to increase the time but it’s good to rotate the pan(s) halfway through so they bake evenly. TxFarmer, I baked this recipe this morning. Turned out great. Then shape the dough into a sandwich loaf following these simple guidelines. The tutorial for the 78% hydration ciabatta can be found HERE. When I put them in the oven they were small, but at least flat and rectangular. Make a well in the centre and add the … Also, sprinkling a little salt on the crust before you put it in can also add a little crackle. Bread making has become a miracle for me. Could we use a nut flour and add some vital gluten? It yields a … How to make No Knead Ciabatta Bread. All original site content copyright 2020 The Fresh Loaf unless stated otherwise. Next, dissolve the yeast into the mix, breaking it … You may remember this video that I referenced in my very first no-knead bread recipe post. Enjoy your pre-aged life where you don’t have to worry about that kind of thing, but soon enough you’ll feel bad for all the times you mocked others over dietary issues. After 3 hours dough will become puffy and dotted with bubbles. Scrape down sides of bowl. My bread is 5-Star – second to none I have ever eaten. The high protein content means that bread flour has more gluten in it, which … Hi, Jenny, I know you’re not answering questions, but as you are likely aware, there is NO yeast in the stores. Outdoor coals: Heat charcoal in a chimney starter until ash covers all of the coals. I think you had better dedicate years to sit down and correct every recipe calling for hot water in every recipe. Pumpkin Laminated Sandwich Loaf - and other holiday goodies, Sourdough Panettone 2012 - Iginio Massari's Recipe, Pumpkin Croissant - with two kinds of fillings, Tang Zhong, Ricotta, Scalded Multigrain with and without, Cranberries & Pecans, Mini's 100% Dark Rye & Chia Recipe ...Love at 104% hydration. This sourdough Ciabatta is a great recipe for chewy, tender ciabatta that is perfect for sandwiches or eating by the slice. Add the water and mix with a spoon or your … In a small bowl, combine 2 cups flour, water and yeast. I do not use any grain flours. It’s all the rage, that no-knead bread. Content posted by community members is their own. Could we use another type of flour, like Almond flour or Tapioca Flour or Rice Flour or a combination of? To make it taste properly you would need to add a Tbl spon of lime or lemon juice to the mix. I think I have to make ciabatta this weekend. Make a well in the centre and add the … It's an adaptation for the home kitchen of the much larger oval filone and the football-shaped pugliese sold at … To my amazement this no knead sourdough … There was so much information about baking sourdough bread, so many new terms to wrap my head around, so much work. I better echo everybody's comment! I used the same technique from my 36 hour sourdough baguettes: a long cold autolyse (4 hours in this case) to develope the initial gluten, then add in the 100% starter and salt, mix until roughly even. Close oven door immediately and bake for 30 minutes. LOL Lawrence, original Ciabatta is not sour dough base. Please look at my recipe for No Knead Crusty Rolls. Was recently at sea level and made a loaf and it puffed up just a tad more than at home but hardly worth adjusting the recipe! Any idea what might have gone wrong? table salt has 590mg. Thank you so much for all you do. Place white and wheat flour in a large bowl. Get Knead Not Sourdough Recipe from Food Network You can also find 1000s of Food Network's best recipes from top chefs, shows and experts. Readers: Help. But I have to emphasize, you are this close to baking your own artisan sourdough … When Jenny say’s hot water, she means hot…not boiling. Add salt, yeast, and water. Help! In a small bowl, combine 2 cups flour, water and yeast. * Note: Always be careful when using oven, lodge combo cooker (It is very hot, so use it after wearing very thick oven gloves) Add the starter and salt to the dough, mixing thoroughly. Couple of things to point out with this one : i didnt knead the dough at all...just combined by hand or stirred in all ingredients when called for -with the wrong end … Bread flour is a high-protein flour that typically contains between 12 and 14% protein and is designed for baking yeasted breads. I think all that dividing for rolls destroyed some bubbles. The FAQs might help: https://www.jennycancook.com/no-knead-bread-solutions/. Why the thumbs down with no comment? thanks so much for the recipes. Transfer it to a well-floured surface and sprinkle dough with a little flour. I live at 6,000 ft and do not make any adjustments. LittleFeetPrincess — 1tsp/1 loaf “won’t kill you” IF that’s all the sodium you’re getting. It's an adaptation for the home kitchen of the much larger oval filone … Really lovely ciabatta! While the no-knead part of the no-knead dough recipe certainly has some cool action going on, at least for home bread bakers (and we'll get to it soon), the real important innovation here is baking the bread in a Dutch oven, and it works in two ways: by increasing the radiant energy heating the bread, and by increasing the humidity of the baking environment. Hi, what are the measurements of a properly baked loaf of ciabatta bread? If you are using a flour without gluten, you can purchase it at a bulk food store like the Bulk Barn or the Co-Op. I actually like the crumb exactly as it is, for ciabatta it's perfect! Say the loaf is cut into 10 slices, that’s 236mg sodium per slice. Next, dissolve the yeast into the mix, breaking it down with your hands then using a fork or spatula to combine. That means the whole loaf has 2,360mg sodium. My last one I added garlic chunks to. people. The Fresh Loaf is not responsible for community member content. This is a very tasty bread. Can’t wait to try some of your recipes. DELISH! Hope this helps. The dough is wetter, it ferments for 18 hours at room temperature and is shaped into a long, fairly flat, ciabatta … my solution is to dial the oven to 275, remove the water pan, and give it 15 minutes to set the crust. No Dutch oven needed. Aug 10, 2016 - No Knead Ciabatta. Mix the water and flour thoroughly. That's what we did to the other 3 rolls, very yummy. How long will the dough last once mixed? Hi Jenny, made your bread the first time( I mean never bake bread before) it was gone immediately, love your presentation very professional & friendly, I am sure the story of baseball bat is very interesting , also anything on cheese making? Have you ever tried your no-knead breads with very fine almond flour or coconut flours? I wanted to say I just made this bread, and it came out perfect. Instead of spreading, they ballooned into balls. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking pan (not wax paper) and cover with a towel. No-knead ciabatta bread dough always starts with the flour! How to make No Knead Ciabatta Bread In a small bowl add 1/4 cup water, honey and yeast, let sit for 5 minutes, then stir. Aerate your flour before measuring! Wow... those look fantastic!!! Homemade No-Knead Ciabatta Bread This Homemade No-Knead Ciabatta Bread recipe is as simple as throwing a few staple ingredients together and letting time work its magic. If you are looking for a simple and yet tasty ciabatta with just a few steps this will be perfect for you… I love baking bread, trying all different kind of dough from no-knead to the ones using the mixer…the pleasure that I have with the first bread cutting is out of this world…the expectation of finding out how the crumb turned out. http://www.wildyeastblog.com/2008/07/28/sourdough-ciabatta-rolls/, thanks for the great work (not just on this recipe). Slicing them as you might a baguette was difficult, but my hope was to use them as sandwich buns...and there was no way I could do that. This recipe came from Jim Lahey from NYC’s Sullivan Street Bakery. Perfect every time! I couldn't allow myself to have a dough look like that with the large bubbles lifting up and no surface tension - for me this is an error. Plus, hot water has been sitting in the hot water heater for a while…. This article will teach you a way to use the sourdough in a rather strange variety of bread: ciabatta. When you use the “no dutch oven’ method & use a baking pan instead does the bread have to be covered while baking also? Lead hasn’t been used in solder for a very long time, since the early 60’s if not before. Sourdough and Rye are great, flavorful, dense breads with distinct flavor. But when cooking you don’t have to take it hot from the faucet. Repeat the rising-folding process one more time (for a total of 3 hours), folding it again after the last hour. You made your previous comment on the FAQs page (https://www.jennycancook.com/frequently-asked-questions/) and it has been there since you posted it on May 12th. Thanks for sharing. You can start this dough the night before by switching to COOL water and let the dough rest overnight on the counter top for 8 to 24 hours. Next time I will just make one big loaf with this amount of the dough, I think the crumb will be even more open. do you count the oil as part of the hydration? Unless your house was built using plastic pipes throughout, the lead solder used to connect the hot water pipes dissolves and the water should never be used in cooking. I got two pounds at regular price at the Well Seasoned gourmet store. An outstanding basic no kneed sourdough bread recipe that produces amazing results consistently. Add in the sourdough starter and mix. They sang loud and proud out of the oven. This loaf needs gluten so these flours will not work. It's the differences that make the world go round. Stop trying too hard to bake the perfect bread! Prep Time 5 minutes Sourdough Pancakes and Cranberry Bars - Valentine's Day Baking, Straight Method Baguette - a good starter baguette to practice on, Sourdough Pumpkin Rye Rolls -- and other holiday treats. Michael McGuire — January 22, … and added 1/2 tsp. Love your no knead recipes! Sprinkle a little more flour over the top of the dough and knead the dough just two or three times until the flour is incorporated and the dough is no longer bubble-gum sticky. Off and on my mother and I always experimented to find a way to bake a decent loaf of bread with absolutely no luck. https://breadtopia.com/sourdough-no-knead-bread for detailed recipe and tips for making fabulous No Knead Sourdough Bread. Bake this bread in a preheated oven at 200°C for 30-35 mins. Jere. (3 VIDEOS BELOW) Are we free enough to open to the flow, no … Your snazzy Kitchenaid doesn’t care if it’s mixing a highly enriched brioche or a high-hydration ciabatta dough; it will mix and knead at whatever setting you choose, and if you’re not … 5. Want to try it if I can reduce the sodium or leave out the salt. I’ve tried to make various kinds of bread over the years, with varying degrees of success. I did. Nicely done. When commenting don]t comment on the ingredients. Sourdough No-Knead Bread Method Our original contribution to the no-knead revolution: No-knead bread baking for the sourdough lover. When this ciabatta bread comes out of the oven it has a … Bread rose beautifully. Thank you for a an easy and delicious recipe. You have such skill with high-hydration doughs, maintaining that open crumb! No doubt, flavor is better with salt but we have to adjust sometimes. Should I try increasing the second rise time from 35 min to 45 min? The recipe and technique in the video are a little different from the basic no-knead recipe. I plan to make this ciabatta bread tomorrow but I plan to make it into rolls. This results in a dense loaf with a more sour flavor and crumbly texture. 1/2 cup sourdough starter Mix the salt with the flour, and the sourdough with the warm water. Preheat oven to 450° F. After a 35-minute rest, the dough will puff up a little. Refrigerated for a little while? Again, as I share – why be accusatory to someone who takes so much of her time to share her wonderful recipes. It was so easy that I sent it to my 82 yr old friend and she saw the video and is excited to try this out. It is totally amazing to pull out an artisan loaf of bread from the oven when one considers the very simple ingredients required. Thanks Jenny. Thank you. 40g) into a bowl along with the warm water. If you see anything inappropriate on the site or have any questions, contact me at floydm at thefreshloaf dot com. Traditional Sourdough Pandoro - Merry X'mas! I am 99% sure I used the right amount of ingredients. Some only show finished bread but I determine if I want to make some recipes (especially bread )by being able to see photos of the interior after slicing. I have two loves in the oven and don’t know if I need to extend the baking time. Magic! Regards Brian. The rep at Fleischmann’s told me that, as it is instant, there is no waiting for it to rise, so how do I handle the Ciabatta recipe, which I’ve made often, following your recipe? Although it was under 30 degrees outside I am comfortable at 60. As shown in the picture, they are proofed on parchment paper. How to make Sourdough Ciabatta bread, easy step by step instructions from start to finish. No Knead Ciabatta Makes: 2 Ciabatta loaves. Stir gently until all the yeast is totally dissolved. The no knead sourdough bread is best served within the next day or two, but it can be kept in the fridge for up to 4 … Place it in the oven and carefully pour about 3/4 cup of hot or boiling water into 3 or 4 muffin cups or small pan. I have made this bread with the hot water and it comes out perfect every time. Moving ciabatta around is where I get 'stuck' usually. However, it is INSTANT YEAST. Get the recipe for Chef John's No-Knead Ciabatta. I would like to make pizzas with the dough. Is this the way it should be or should I add more flour. Directions. Add 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons/390 milliliters water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Good luck! To avoid sticking, use a lot of flour - a blend of rice flour and AP. Aug 10, 2016 - No Knead Ciabatta. Next time will try baking 35 min. Then combine all the ingredients and mix for 20 seconds or just until all of the flour is wet. I put on a rack after taking out of the oven. Thanks guys! You can start this dough the night before by switching to COOL water and let the dough rest overnight on the counter top for 8 to 24 hours. I am making this recipe now. The story goes that some Italian … Thanks. One trick I use is to add honey or sugar to pump up the flavor. The dough for ciabatta bread is extremely wet compared to other bread types. I live at 3000 and made no adjustments, awesome bread Jenny! Not sure if anyone will see this before I try and bake it but thought I would try. We live at almost 5,600 ft elevation and I know that it’s pretty common for ingredients to have to be adjusted for high altitude when baking. Pat the dough into a rectangle about 10" x 15". EVER, If you don’t have parchment paper what can you use instead thanks. I am following the recipe as far as I can tell. And watch videos demonstrating recipe prep and cooking techniques. We think this recipe comes close to the highest and best use of the enormously popular no knead method of bread baking. now and still bake one or two loaves per week for my wife and me. It yields a loaf that has a crispy exterior, soft, spongy and airy interior that's just begging for butter. Minimal handling and worked for me! Or mix it up in the morning and … I made 6 ciabatta rolls out of half the recipe. I made this last night and I could have sat down and eaten the entire loaf. Turn the dough and pull it towards you, using the counter to help you build some tension on the outside of the dough. In a rectangle container with lid, mix the water with yeast. Add salt, yeast and water. Thank you. I am eager to try as many of your recipes as possible. Watch my No-Knead Sourdough video to see the shaping process in action! I increased yeast to 1/3 tsp. 40g) into a bowl along with the warm water. Are they proofing on parchment or a couche cloth may I ask how you stop them sticking to whatever it is? Thank you! PLEASE, PLEASE, BRING HER BACK… A VIEWER FROM TEXAS.. Pizza would be a good idea for this dough. Using a bench knife, chef's knife, or pizza wheel, cut … I hadn't tried any in quite a while due to lack of success. I had to give it a try. Thanks so much for sharing the recipe that let me achieve that! Then I turn on the oven light. A simple EASY recipe for No-Knead Sourdough Bread made with your own homemade sourdough starter that rises overnight and is baked the next morning. You may remember this video that I referenced in my very first no-knead bread recipe post. 1 tsp. Explore. Directions. It lasts up to 5 yrs in the freezer too. Bread .. A simple EASY recipe for No-Knead Sourdough Bread made with your own homemade sourdough starter that rises overnight and is baked the next morning. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand at room temperature for 3 hours. 2) However I am unsure how a flat profile would mean less crust. Well the bread is baked and it is delicious. Best Ciabetta ever!" Khalid just baked his beautiful Ciabatta with Biga, and now here are your lovely Ciabatta rolls. No Knead Ciabatta Bread - Jenny Can Cook No Dutch oven needed. The crumb was perfect, but there was just too much crust. Used Sylvia's towel steam method. The light’s warmth will be just enough to keep the oven warm for a perfect rise…. And third, these New York style sourdough bagels if you want to try a more involved recipe. It is not her fault you can not follow directions. Add 10% of your flour (approx. Perfect like a baker, or a restaurant, or a place that comes with delicious, table bread before a meal. Added a S&F during bulk rise, which makes 4 S&F in total. Wish that I found this recipe for Thanksgiving. Enjoy! It works perfectly… and for making yogurt as well! In a small bowl add 1/4 cup water, honey and yeast, let sit for 5 minutes, then stir. Made this bread today and it was fabulous!! Here's my basic no-knead, long-fermented rustic bread, a round loaf, or boule. Many many thanks, Janet. Believe it or not- there are some really good and nice people in this world and Jenny is one of them. It's nice to have a bit of crumb to enjoy with your crust! Definitely need an oven thermometer, though. She is not trying to “pull the wool over someone’s eyes”. I have been known to use liquid smoke even. There is no water in the oil; it scarcely functions the same as water, and I never count it in this calculation. I think many of us have vented ovens, to which i attribute this problem. Many people use a tankless hot water heater nowadays. Worked much better. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. This left me with rolls that had too much crust. Just found you. For me personally, I use a thermometer and use water that is 110 to 115 degrees f. If you have been using water much hotter than this, you will kill the yeast and your bread will flop.